About Me

My photo
Clayton County, Georgia, United States
I am a self self starting resident of Clayton county. I have an undergraduate degree in sociology and am currently working on an advance degree. My goal is to unite, empower and educate our community to help our children compete globally. My hope is that as you read the posts you will be challenged to make some changes within your immediate sphere of influence.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Should Clayton County Sheriffs be employed in our schools?

This is a question that I have been trying to gain some understanding on. After reviewing information presented to me, I have some questions.  Since this is my moment I get to have an opinion. Want to hear it? Here it is... I definitely questioned the validity and logic behind Heatley signing a contract back in August 2010. 

Economically for our county does it make financial sense? Surely our Deputy Superintendent with her extensive financial background should have caught this one. The Contract between the Sheriffs Dept and Heatley ( remember the school board hasn't voted on this one) states the county will pay 80% of salaries and equipment costs to the Sheriff.. Under the contract with Clayton County police the county only had to pay 20%. Hmm aren't we supposed to be cutting costs?

Second, Safety should be paramount to making or spending money. Now it is my understanding that Clayton County police were specifically trained in dealing with children. The Sheriffs dept is not. I am open to correction so if I'm wrong tell me. Now wouldn't an officer coming from a department that has no training, yet strip-searches a student be a red flag that maybe- just maybe this might be a mistake.

I told you I would keep my ear out. It is my understanding that a student at a Clayton county school (middle) was strip searched by a sheriff. I'm not saying any names, but you might know which school. Heatley knows about it, but still kept the contract with the Sheriffs dept. Again is it all about the kids or All about the money?
and on top of it the they talked the parent out of suing. There is some truth to rumor.

I don't know how you feel, but I just can't function in this turmoil within our educational community. I can personally say if that was my child the county might just go bankrupt with all the lawsuits I would file. We have really got to stick together and stay on the Board to make sure they do what they are supposed to or get all of them out of office. This my thought for the day.. This is not logical and therefore makes no sense.

7 comments:

  1. Butterfly: Your site is looking great! I love it! I love that pink butterfly too! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking on me. I'm working it out. I have a ton of information that I have to check. When I grow-up I wanna be like the Teacher's advocate. lol.. Have an excellent day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for looking out for Clayton's students, teachers, and stakeholders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't forget about board meeting. The fight has just begun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! Nupes Heatley, Hendrix and Smith are straight slicksters! They must go and will go! Our district has been hijacked by a group of Kappas who only have their own interest at heart and not our children. At least Heatley just speak openly and yelll and scream at staff openly (totally unprofessional)while Smith and Hendrix wallow on their bellys like serpents being underhanded during the process. This has got to stop. Our children's education is at hand. I have 2 children left to complete their education in Clayton County Schools and have no plans to leave. THEY MUST GO! Let's band together to save our schools. I will definitely be at the next Board meeting. Please join me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new blog!
    The article on the blog from "Education Week," page 4 of the comments, was so terrifyingly true to what we know as our truth now in Clayton County. Parents and advocates, this article will really shake you up about Heatley's training.
    Here is an excerpt:"They say Broad-trained superintendents use corporate-management techniques to consolidate power, weaken teachers’ job protections, cut parents out of decisionmaking, and introduce unproven reform measures."

    The URL:
    http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2011/06/08/33broad_ep.h30.html?tkn=OZVFS66Oi96P3cQ9kT3h5y26%2FwOspS42DUUT&cmp=clp-edweek

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checking in on you. Keep up the good work! John Trotter.

    ReplyDelete

Georgia Teachers Speak Out!